Thursday, May 30, 2013

1950's sleeveless top

When I first saw this top over at Handmade Jane, I knew I had to make one for myself.  Being a vintage pattern I thought I would never find it in my size, I've never graded a pattern, so that was out of the question.  The pattern is Simplicity 4238, it took awhile, but I finally found it and had it in my hands a few weeks later.  I must admit the instructions through me for a loop, I didn't understand how the front band facing went together, so I just fudged my way through it. I think it turned out ok.  I plan on making more of these for the summer, maybe it'll become clearer to me after a couple more.  Other than that, I really love the top, I love the way it fits, its very casual, but I think  the darts, give it a more fitted look, therefore dresses it up a bit.





4 comments:

  1. I love it! You picked great fabric for this vintage pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's 100% cotton, light and airy, perfect for summer!

      Delete
  2. Oh it's lovely! I'm really pleased my version inspired you to hunt down the pattern. Just to reassure you, the first time I made it the collar/facings instructions completely foxed me too. It was a lot easier the second time and even easier the third! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reassurance, I haven't started on my second one yet, but already have the fabric and buttons picked out!

    ReplyDelete